At La Cumbre, our technician assistants are at the heart of what we do. Are you interested in joining our busy team? Here's what we're looking for in our next team member:
OVERVIEW: A La Cumbre Veterinary Assistant is the primary support to doctors and patients. We're looking for a team member who pays attention to detail, responds quickly & calmly to crises, and maintains our office's very high standards of patient care. In addition, a La Cumbre tech assistant must be able to communicate well with clients, doctors, and other staff members. We want someone on our team who shows genuine care & concern for our clients' pets! It's especially important that you are able to handle pets in situations that are less than ideal - nervous pups and fractious kitties are not uncommon! A La Cumbre tech assistant has some administrative responsibilities including record maintenance, estimate creation, and computer entry. And it's no secret that you've got to enjoy working with animals & people!
SUMMARY: Other responsibilities for technician assistants include: animal restraint, perform routine laboratory procedures, administer vaccines, perform routine nail trims & anal gland expression, perform surgical preparation & assistance, take & process radiographs, perform dental prophies, induce & monitor anesthesia, place intravenous catheters, maintain IV fluids administration, obtain & record vital statistics, educate clients, assist customer service representatives, and perform light kennel duties. We want someone who completes the following duties personally & coordinates with team members to ensure successful completion of assigned tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES for a La Cumbre tech assistant include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Provide primary technical support to veterinarians
- Restrain patients, including large breed dogs
- Enter all services performed in computer and in medical record
- Monitor critical patients
- Notify the doctor of inside lab test results & record in the chart
- Administer oral drugs, colonic irrigation, wound dressing, and fluid therapy
- Prepare cultures for bacteriological examination
- Perform emergency procedures including: control bleeding, administer parenteral fluids & pharmacological agents under veterinary supervision, resuscitate with oxygen, establish open airway by intubation, perform external cardiac massage, apply temporary bandages or splints, provide external supportive treatment of wounds, burns, and heat prostration
- Admit patients & obtain initial medical history from client
- Knowledge of vaccination protocols, sterilizations, use of OTC products, and so forth
- Counsel clients regarding home care, medication administration, pre/postoperative care, blood test preparation, and so forth
- Discharge patients with appropriate instructions
- Fill/refill prescriptions and prepare medications as prescribed by the veterinarian
- Clean indoor and outdoor kennels, cages, and runs as needed
- This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by a La Cumbre tech assist. Team members are required to follow any other instructions & to perform any other duties requested by his or her supervisor.
EXPECTATIONS OF a La Cumbre Tech Assistant include:
- Greet clients & patients in a friendly, professional manner
- Close attention to detail & accuracy
- Exceptional attendance
- Have knowledge of basic pharmaceuticals & understand their use
- Follow all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and policies
- Remain calm in emergencies or with upset clients
- Understand & be able to use the SDS notebooks
- Understand & be able to use the Illness and Injury Prevention Plan
- Follow established safety procedures & protocols in accordance with CAL-OSHA and hospital standards
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: B.A. or B.S. Degree from a four-year college or university in animal sciences, biology, chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, or zoology is highly preferred; and over three years up to and including five years of related experience and/or training within a fast-paced environment or equivalent combination of education & experience. Experience providing exemplary customer service is required. Prior experience in an animal hospital is strongly preferred.
La Cumbre technician assistants are required to have a driver's license or a valid government ID.
COMPUTER SKILLS: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have basic knowledge of: Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Have high compassion & caring for both animals & people
- Have a high degree of accuracy in reading & following instructions
- Have a high degree of common sense in monitoring hospitalized pets
- Excellent interpersonal skills with clients & team members
- Have knowledge of & apply proper phone etiquette
- Ability to work independently with minimal or, in some cases, no supervision
OTHER APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Have impeccable recommendations from previous employers regarding honesty, trustworthiness, and attendance
- Available & willing to work extended hours as needed
- Have a clean & neat appearance commensurate with the professional nature of our business
- Continuing Education: Attend in-house staff training as scheduled & attend selected offsite training as scheduled or as required by the State of California
- Be drug & alcohol-free
- Willingness to follow the hospital dress code including wearing a hospital approved uniform.