OVERVIEW: A La Cumbre hospital aid has the primary responsibility of meeting the everyday needs of patients in the hospital and of performing all hospital maintenance both inside & out. A hospital aid must pay attention to detail and maintain high levels of patient care & cleanliness. A hospital aid maintains a clean, odor-free kennel & hospital, and clean hospital grounds. We’re looking for someone who is able to work independently with minimal supervision. Of course, you’ve got to enjoy working with animals!
SUMMARY: Responsibilities of the Hospital Aid include: cleaning & disinfecting cages/kennels; laundry; animal care including feeding, watering, & proper identification; animal restraint; food carryout for clients; general hospital maintenance & cleaning; light maintenance of grounds. A La Cumbre hospital aide performs the following duties personally and coordinates with team members to ensure successful completion of assigned tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
- Hospital Maintenance:
- Thoroughly cleaning the inside & outside of cages/kennels, including removing urine, feces, blood, vomit, hair, & litter.
- Keeping kennel areas ready for “client inspection” at all times
- Sort, wash, dry, fold, and store laundry (includes the use of chlorine bleach) & keep washer and dryer clean and lint free.
- Keep grounds litter-free. Clean outside entrances, clean parking area, and street gutters.
- Maintain all cleaning equipment
- Take inventory of cleaning supplies, laundry supplies, & cat litter and notify the Practice Manager when inventory is low.
- Clean hospital interior including counters, walls, doors, windows, blinds, floors, ceilings, picture frames, surgery room, bathrooms
- Clean hospital equipment and furniture including tables, sinks, lamps, and instruments
- Animal Care
- Provide compassionate care - love the pets! Talk to them.
- Maintain accurate identification of all animals at all times.
- Observe and follow specific directions regarding the administration of food & water.
- Move animals safely & gently using the proper restraint techniques while protecting both self & animal. Learn how to do this without needing assistance from another staff member.
- Make sure all animals have a clean supply of fresh water at all times unless specifically instructed otherwise.
- Make sure all animals & their kennels are clean & dry cage at all times. Change bedding and litter boxes as needed.
- Observe all animals and notify the doctor or technician of any abnormal behavior (eating, vocalizing, bowel movements, drinking, vomiting, bleeding, sneezing) or any other unusual behavior.
- Prepare animals for discharge (brush, check for cleanliness) as directed by the technician.
- Keep the break area neat & clean and dishes washed.
- Assist doctors and technicians with animal restraint as needed.
- Smile and be courteous!
- Assist clients to & from cars with dog/cat food and/or pets.
- Complete appropriate Duties Check Sheets and give to Practice Manager as instructed on each check sheet.
- Answer phone lines if needed. Write messages as needed. Contact the Practice Manager or appropriate doctor as needed.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. A La Cumbre hospital aide is required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by their supervisor.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or GED; and over one year up to and including three years of related experience and/or training within a fast-paced environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience providing exemplary customer service is required. Prior experience in an animal hospital is strongly preferred.
LANGUAGE SKILLS EXPERIENCE: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, and REGISTRATIONS: Valid State Driver’s License
A La Cumbre hospital aide is expected to have exceptional attendance and to be drug & alcohol-free.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Have high compassion & caring for animals & clients. Ability to meet and interact well with clients (for food carryout and pet assistance.)
- Ability to handle cats & dogs including those who are fearful, threatening, in pain, or ill. Knowledge of animal restraint techniques (or ability to learn this)
- Consistency and accuracy in identifying pets, some of whom look identical (black cats, Golden Retrievers, Yellow Labrador Retrievers, etc.)
- Have high degree of accuracy in reading, following instructions, and common sense in monitoring hospitalized & boarding pets
- Knowledge of different disinfectants and the appropriate use of each (or the ability to learn this)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with clients and team members
- Ability to understand and comply with CAL-OSHA safety standards
- Ability to work independently with minimal or, in some cases, no supervision
- Ability to climb on ladders
- Exceptional attendance
- Be drug & alcohol-free.
- Maintain a clean and neat appearance commensurate with the professional nature of our business
- Willingness to follow the hospital dress code including wearing a hospital approved uniform
- Have impeccable recommendations from previous employers regarding trustworthiness, honesty, and attendance